Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mid-week Update

Hello, hello!

I decided to change the background of my blog.  I wanted something different, and perhaps this makes it easier to read.

This week has been pretty slow thus far.  I had class on Monday and Tuesday.  I've been sleeping in until 11:30 or 12 for the past few days, with the exception of Monday because I had class at 9.  While this may seem nice, I think I'm getting too much sleep.  I also feel like I'm not spending my time productively.  It's weird to not have class as often as I do at BC, to not have a job, or to have meetings, volunteer hours, and a bunch of other commitments.  I feel incredibly productive when I travel because there is so much learning to be done outside the classroom, but I don't care how cheap anyone tells you it is to travel around Europe.  IT'S NOT THAT CHEAP!  I also want to make sure that I invest in getting to know Swansea and the people here.  I came to Wales for a reason!  Nevertheless, I'm incredibly excited about Berlin tomorrow!

---

A friend of mine recently posted in her blog some cultural differences that she's noticed.  I thought it was really interesting, so I'm now going to steal some of her ideas!

- Vegetables are shortened to "veg"


- Herb is pronounced with the 'h'


- There are no 1 pound paper bills, only coins


- I was dipping chocolate chip cookies in milk yesterday.  My flatmate started laughing hysterically and exclaimed "That's so American!!!"


- Cheers is some kind of universal greeting/word; I most often hear it used in place of thank-you


- In class, Americans participate more.  Seems to be a British thing to be more reserved.


- Meat & Potatoes.  Enough said.


- Rarely have class.  A British thing.


- Great Britain feels, and truly is in many ways, very different from mainland Europe.  I learned a lot about this in my pre-sessional class.  You can see this in GB's relationship with the European Union and the fact that GB hasn't adopted the euro as its form of currency.


---


Alright, that's all for now!  You can expect a blog update about my adventures in Germany on Sunday.
Have a great week, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Allison White! Ellen here! Noticed you are studying abroad!! I spent two months in London this summer! Looking at your pics bring back some great memories! I'll be reading your blog :)

    Here's the link from when I was abroad: www.ellengoestolondon.wordpress.com

    buuut here is my current blog: www.ellen-enchanted.blogspot.com

    Love you and miss you! Enjoy your time abroad!

    ReplyDelete